Сучасна диджитал-освіта для дітей — безоплатне заняття в GoITeens ×
Mazda CX 5

How to search for ideas and business partners

Please Note: This is a re-post (with some editing) of my original question on www.developers.org.ua/forum/topic/211

I just want to be clear that I am not spamming the forum.

After speaking with Max Ischenko, he recommended to post my question as a separate post

Hi Everyone,

Just found your website and I really like reading the forums.

(I can read Russian, but I cannot type. I was born in Kiev, moved to USA when I was 14 years old)

It is very interesting to read what the developers say about business, searching for partners, etc.

I was under impression that I can find reliable developers with ideas, that want to have their own business.

I guess the perfect scenario would be:

1. Group of developers or an individual have web or software project but don’t know how to sell it in USA and don’t have funds to do so.

2. We open joint company (with them becoming equal owners) and we sell the product in USA.

3. We make a lot of money and everyone is very happy:)

However the reality is very different, after spending significant resources (time+money) and having a couple of very bad experiences. I still have nothing.

I am still looking.

I see two possible reasons:

1. No such individual or group exists (I have very hard time believing that)

2. I am going wrong about my search and not reaching the right developers.

So my question to you is: if you were in my position and were looking for developers that want to have a joint business with someone from USA, how would you go about finding them?

Is it possible?

Sincerely,

Jean Neftin

neftin at gmail.com

New York

👍ПодобаєтьсяСподобалось0
До обраногоВ обраному0
LinkedIn
Дозволені теги: blockquote, a, pre, code, ul, ol, li, b, i, del.
Ctrl + Enter
Дозволені теги: blockquote, a, pre, code, ul, ol, li, b, i, del.
Ctrl + Enter
That’s obvious...
Jean has experience in banking field and therefore he can do something in this field. He should look for the idea in the field where he has expertice, not trying to realize an abstract idea with programmers found here.

I remember I worked some time ago in a small company and we developed a project for pharmaceutical industry. The project “size” was about 50−80 person-years. And what was the “value” of the project? IMHO it was: 70% — existing customers which 1) give very important knowlege about business needs in this field; 2) give very important recommendations for future customers; and 30% — the software itself. This project, developed during ten years by a team of 5+ developers, I can clone in 0.5 year, having just working executables. But I have nothing to do with the clone.

2 Jean Neftin
I am not an expert in this field but intuitively I think that your approach is incorrect. This is wrong place to find business idea to work in America.
Look at this: www.e-xecutive.ru/...dviser/1181448
To develop business idea you have to know well the environment. These people don’t know the environment. They live here they know local demand.
To be successful you should bring the business idea and then find a team here to realize it. This is what I am doing...
Wish you success!

Lucy

2 Flyman
Thank you for your e-mail. Maybe my Russian is not that good after all:)
If I understand correctly this project will require millions and millions of dollars and will produce results in 3−5 years.
I don’t think I will be able to find investors for a project like that.
I am only looking for projects that I can do myself.
I cannot put down 5 million dollars and wait 3 years for results.
Actually I don’t know many people who would do that.
Especially in this economy.
Sorry

Jean

>> I see two possible reasons:
>> 1. No such individual or group exists (I have very hard time believing that)
>> 2. I am going wrong about my search and not reaching the right developers.
Салют, luckysmile
Ну, есть у меня выход на слаженный, проверенный, эффективный тим, который сделал много проектов и имет кучу наработок в эмбеддед направлении.
Контингент заказчиков — местные (космос, связь, военка). Ищут выходы на иностранных клиентов.
Если есть интерес — могу свести и взять участие в кооперации.
Сегодня выслал на ДОУ статью об идея старапа в по робототехнике.
Надеюсь на публикацию и обсуждение.
Смотрите почту. Було бы инересно узнать Ваш фидбек до публикации.
Возможно статья будет ещё корректироваться, если найдутся серёзные замечания.

Интересно знать ресурсы, куда можно забросить англоязычный вариант.

Good Day,
I would like to thank everyone for their e-mails. It will take me a while to review each project and/or e-mail. I will try to respond to each e-mail.
Please be patient with me.
Sincerely,
Jean Neftin

New York

2 Роман Храмцов:
“... А все же, вы как финансовый контролер (нам Дикому Востоку ближе термин ’финансовый аналитик’ или ’финансовый менеджер’, или ’аналитик фондового рынка’), ведь будете составлять плановую бизнес-отчетность? наверняка там будет статья ‘Salary for LuckySmile’, ведь вам же нужно будет за чтото жить? какая это цифра? в первый год, второй,...десятый? Вы же будете планировать Balans, CF, P& L, NPV, PI, MIRR, как минимум потаму что это может заинтересовать инвесторов? также инвесторов может заинтересовать кто будет управлять бизнесом и за какую цену...”
Since, you would like to talk about money, let’s talk about money:)
Since, business goes in stages and never really starts from day one, I expect to make a switch in 3 months or so from my work to running the business full time.
If the business requires my full attention from day one, then obviously I have to break my piggy bank and start digging into my own money. I would try to avoid that.
“Salary for LuckySmile” is very important, since I have 2 years and 8 months old daughter (her name is Elizabeth by the way)
Of course I would hope to match my salary right away and not to lose a dollar, but I don’t think it usually happens this way. If you want to go on your own, then you have to take some risks. So in the perfect world, I would make my current salary the first year and then up, up, up. If it small businesses, then I don’t think the salary will go above 250k. At least in my experience I never saw small business owners make more than that in their salary. I don’t want to discuss this topic on this blog, but you understand that this is not the only money they get, right?
Since you mentioned “Balans, CF, P& L, NPV, PI, MIRR” then you also know, that even if I make less salary in my own business, there are other benefits for example “Retained Earnings” which is my money and if the business closes will “go” with me. This is a very big difference with what I have now; my salary is all I have.
“... Как-то туманно ‘marketing experience’, можно поподробней? Я так понимаю, это было продажа ваших консультационных услуг?...Поймите, вы будете лицом компании — поэтому ответы на данные вопросы интересны вашему партнеру, кто бы им не был...”
Agreed, not clear enough. Some of the projects I did.
1. Setting up dealer network
2. Developing new products for a company (mostly sport goods)
3. Visual design of the store space
4. Setting Up Company Trade Booths for Trade Shows
5. Setting up Conferences
6. Design of printed media, like magazines, fliers.
7. Getting newspapers to print articles about the business or its products
8. Of course internet advertising (but I don’t think anyone on this forum will be impressed with that).
Those are some things I have done. I do think if the inquiries become more serious, then I need to give references about the projects. So someone other than me can confirm what I have done. You know, talk is cheap:)
“... И по поводу ‘хороший товар сам себя продает’.
I don’t believe I said ‘хороший товар сам себя продает’. I think what I said was ‘product that creates value’. These are not the same things.
When you have ‘product that creates value’ then you need to communicate that to a potential customer. This is what marketing is, ‘You believe your product is the best and you want everyone to know that.’
”...Допустим, у вас есть супер качественный по супер низкой цене товар, вы регистрируете фирму, и все? клиенты валят к вам толпами, главное следить за качеством дебиторской задолженности и чтобы все было оформленно должным образом? или же подразумеваются какие-либо еще действия после открытия фирмы? Чтобы снова не услышать “все зависит от конкретного продукта”, я вношу ясность — это программное обеспечение, программа, которая делает что-то полезное. Ваши действия..."
Let’s take an actual example of an idea for small business that I am working on right now. I have a developer from Minks. He builds a car tracking software so managers of taxi, truck or delivery services can track their cars. Since we don’t have any legal paperwork in place yet and he is worried that I will steal the software from him, I gave him money and he got his own server and installed the software. I ordered the hardware from China (gps trackers) and he is testing them out. I then called one of my former customers who owns a big security company www.mr-locks.com and asked him if he wants to become my first test customer and if everything works right, my first dealer. He agreed. So as soon as the software works and we test it on his cars, he will start selling it to his customers and after that we will develop the network of similar dealers around USA (in every major city). This business also has a potential as a personal protection service (like child trackers for parents) so I developing this idea as well. Once, I have at least one dealer in major USA cities then I will start more aggressive advertisement.
If it gets too much for me financially then I will either need to take a bank loan or look for investors.
One word about investors, once they give you money they will control you forever. No matter how much of the business they own, even 10% they will still be able to control how you do things. So when it comes to a small business, I would rather take a bank loan or a credit line.
The biggest expense in business is getting customers (marketing) and then taking care of them (customer support). If you don’t take care of them they will leave and you will lose all the money that you spent on marketing. That is why everything needs to be taken in smaller steps; at least this was my experience.
I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

PS. I really hope that the GPS project will work and I will actually get real product and not promises.

Неплохо, реально неплохо, зарабатываете чуть меньше добротного программиста в Штатах.
А все же, вы как финансовый контролер (нам Дикому Востоку ближе термин ’финансовый аналитик’ или ’финансовый менеджер’, или ’аналитик фондового рынка’), ведь будете составлять плановую бизнес-отчетность? наверняка там будет статья «Salary for LuckySmile», ведь вам же нужно будет за чтото жить? какая это цифра? в первый год, второй,...десятый? Вы же будете планировать Balans, CF, P& L, NPV, PI, MIRR, как минимум потаму что это может заинтересовать инвесторов? также инвесторов может заинтересовать кто будет управлять бизнесом и за какую цену...
Как-то туманно «marketing experience», можно поподробней? Я так понимаю, это было продажа ваших консультационных услуг?...Поймите, вы будете лицом компании — поэтому ответы на данные вопросы интересны вашему партнеру, кто бы им не был.

И по поводу «хороший товар сам себя продает». Допустим, у вас есть супер качественный по супер низкой цене товар, вы регистрируете фирму, и все? клиенты валят к вам толпами, главное следить за качеством дебиторской задолженности и чтобы все было оформленно должным образом? или же подразумеваются какие-либо еще действия после открытия фирмы? Чтобы снова не услышать «все зависит от конкретного продукта», я вношу ясность — это программное обеспечение, программа, которая делает что-то полезное. Ваши действия?

2 Игорь Кононученко: “...Либо я ценю тех людей, которых мне посчастливилось найти...” Very well said. I think this is really the secret to life in general. Try to keep the good people. A lot of people now days, screw each other over money. People are the real value.
2 Роман Храмцов: “А как вы собираетесь продвигать продукт? ”
It really depends on the product. If it is small project then with my own money. If it is something big, they I will get investors.
To be honest with you, I would rather prefer something small. Everyone can promise millions so they can be like Google, Apple and Microsoft.
I prefer to put my money where my mouth is. I do not pretend to be Bill Gates, because I am not.
Honesty is the best policy, ladies and gentlemen.
“I mean вы что-нибудь продавали за пределами своей компании? ”
Yes, I have an extensive marketing experience, I also do private consulting for business outside my work. Also, as a financial controller I always oversee marketing activites (internet and real world marketing, live events, printing etc). Because I need to save money and make sure that works and what does not.
If needed I can provide references from established business owners in USA.
“... Сколько вы сейчас зарабатываете...”
Do you mean me personally? (my salary is 85k before taxes + plus a small income from my consulting activities, approximately 20k per year before taxes.)
Or the company that I work for? (they turnover is approximately 300 million annually, but this is not my money, so there is not point talking about it)
“... и сколько планируете зарабатывать...”
I think we should skip this question:)
“... когда у вас будет совместная фирма...”
As soon as I find a project that is exciting and a team that is not trying to screw me over $10:)
I really like the questions because it means that we are communicating.

Thank You

2Saint
Либо я ценю тех людей, которых мне посчастливилось найти.

2luckysmile:

А как вы собираетесь продвигать продукт? I mean вы что-нибудь продавали за пределами своей компании? Сколько вы сейчас зарабатываете и сколько планируете зарабатывать, когда у вас будет совместная фирма?

2 Saint: Please resend your e-mail and put “Saint” in the subject. I received a lot of e-mails from this forum, so I am not sure which is yours. Thank You

luckysmile: я, кстати, тоже вам написал емейл:) (сегодня). Даже если предложение будет не интересно, — буду благодарен за конструктивную критику

В нашей стране никто не хочет работать. Возьмите любую сферу — банки, торговлю, дизайн, образование, законодательство — везде одни мудаки.

Чтоб найти людей, которые реально могут довести что-либо до годности к эксплуатации, и еще сделать это качественно, должно ой как повезти.

Ну что тут можно сказать... Либо вы нанимаете не тех людей, либо вы среди не тех людей... В конце концов — либо вы смотрите не на тех людей:)

2 Игорь Кононученко: yes, I just checked my email.
“... Какого рода сотрудничество вас интересует...”
I am interested in finding an individual or a group of developers that want to take their product (software/website) and open business in USA.
“...Чем занимается ваша компания, можете рассказать о своем бизнесе...”
I do not have my own company yet, I am planning to open one in 2010 and that is why I am searching for partners.
Right, now I work as a financial controller at Corporate Funding Partners www.lettercredit.com. we are based in New York, USA
we provide trade finance (Аккредити́) and other baking services like SWIFT messaging and things like that.
So most of my experience is on the business side (running business, operations, marketing), I do manage right now a group of developers from India, they are building a web-based software for our company. When I say manage, I mean: I give them requirements as to how the software needs to operate, since they don’t know the trade finance business.

I hope this clarify things a little bit, I always prefer a complete transparency.

Jean
Вы получили мое письмо?

2rssh: what exactly were you looking for? How you were looking? What were the results? Did you stop?
2 Игорь Кононученко: What do you do? Are you a developer, business owner?
2Роман Храмцов: Interesting points. I am a financial controller by trade not a developer, so I usually approach everything from a business side. For me the first step is always: Do you have a product that creates value for the customer? If you have that, then it is not very hard to find investors, open business, find lawyers, accountants, marketing companies, and so on and on and on.

However, it always start with the same simple thing, Do you have a product that creates value? That makes customer’s life easier in some way.

В нашей стране все хотят работать — только не на государство... не то у нас государство, чтобы нормально можно было работать... Например, выборы — цветочный ларек — дай 50 тыс. грн. на выборы или уваливай (be off).
2Jean,
Если бы у меня был продукт для продажи на Западных рынках, я бы искал Издательство — компанию которая бы взяла на себя маркетинг (выставки, публикации в тематических изданиях, налаживание контактов с фокус-группами, etc) и юридическую сторону (авторские права, офомления, налогооболожения, etc.).

Ну, а если б мне нужен был торговый агент в Америке (да он всегда нужен), то искал бы классически — через американские сайты работы. Вот как только будет 5−8 тысяч долларов свободной наличности в месяц, так и сразу начну искать:). А серьезно, то реальней эмигрировать в штаты, там найти прямых клиентов, и уже потом вернуться сюда за батрками (peons) лет через 10... Let’s go to get green card!

Jean,
В нашей стране никто не хочет работать. Возьмите любую сферу — банки, торговлю, дизайн, образование, законодательство — везде одни мудаки.
Чтоб найти людей, которые реально могут довести что-либо до годности к эксплуатации, и еще сделать это качественно, должно ой как повезти.

Любопытно — с этой стороны я довольно долго искал человека в США (тоже без особенного результата):)

Dear Roman,
I received your e-mail. I will need some time to review the product.
When you say “Publishing Company”, what do you mean.
Please write in Russian, this will make things easier for everyone.

Thank You for Your E-mail

Answer at your question: I would be looking for Publishing company.

I have sent you a message to neftin (a) NOSPAM!!! gmaile.com. Please notify me if you have received nothing from me. Roman K. / ML

Підписатись на коментарі