How to find freelancers (девушек или парней :o) & clients in Belgium
Hey, a post in English!
I’m looking for freelance mobile developers & UI designers in Kiev.
--- --- --- ---
I’ll explain a bit what I’m trying to do:
I’m an iOS developer and started to do freelance work recently. I’m Belgian, so it makes sense to look for clients in Flanders (Belgium): I can talk to them in their native language (Dutch), and I can charge them more: €50/hour (+VAT) seems to be reasonable, it’s also what I charged when still doing web development in PHP up until a few years ago.
But I have a hard time finding clients in Belgium, probably because of different reasons:
• I’m in Kiev, so all communication will have to by phone, email, Skype,..
• Clients probably prefer the security of hiring an agency, because they might need и iOS, и Android, и UI design, и an icon, и a backend,..
So I decided to try something new:
I made an ‘ask me any question about app development, no strings attached’ website (appadvies.be). The idea being: people looking for app development might have many questions, questions that I can answer quickly, and it might lead to some actual development projects.
I’m buying some Google AdWords to get some traffic, but up until now I mainly get to answer stupid questions from students or the odd small restaurant thinking ‘maybe we should get and app’,.. nothing serious.
So this is what I plan to do now:
1. Tweak the AdWords ads to get better results (there’s only 1 single ad now, and too many different keywords)
2. Try to filter out the stupid questions by making visitors schedule a time and date in an online calendar (they will have to pick a time-slot, and I’ll call them), instead of the current ‘call me anytime’.
3. Offer some real services:
• A tappable prototype/mock-up of the desired app, probably for a fixed price (let’s say €200), and probably made in Briefs (giveabrief.com). Mainly because in this phase -when figuring out what the app should do and how it should work- there’s is going to be a lot of back-and-forth with the client, so I can do that in Dutch. After this we have description and mock-up and can move on to:
• Offer UI design and development by Ukrainian designers and developers, with me serving as a project manager.
• Possibly: offer to write out a detailed technical specification of the app in English, so they can go shopping on Elance/Odesk without having to explain any more details, also for a fixed price. (don’t know.. €100?)
What do you think? Would this work? If you have any advice or tips: please, комментируйте. (Можно на русском тоже.)
What I also was thinking of:
l would be nice to show the faces and names of possible devs and designers on a page, just like the team page of a real company can give you the the idea that ‘these people are ready, and eager to work on your project’. But I wouldn’t know how to do that with freelancers, or if they even would want to. Maybe throw a party and get everybody’s picture taken?
btw, I’ve been interviewed by the Kyiv Post a few weeks ago (фейм! :o) because they were looking for stories with a connection to Belgium. I talked about this + my apps, etc.