Wanna move to Ukraine; have got couple of questions
Please excuse me for writing in English — my Ukrainian grammar totally sucks. You could for sure write back in Ukrainian.
To cut a long story short. My name is Henrik and I am a software engineer from Sweden. My mother was born in Ukraine and recently I got permanent residence permit in Ukraine, aka “Посвідчення закордонного українця” (Yahooo!). I am planning to live next few years in Ukraine.
I am developer with circa 7 years in telecom industry, MA degree from Chalmers University of Technology and experience living and working abroad (US and Germany). I speak Ukrainian, but apparently need some classes; anyway, I am sure I could work in an Ukrainian-speaking environment. I am also fluent in Swedish and German.
After lots of investigation and couple of visits to Ukraine, I believe I wanna live either in Kyiv, either in Lviv.
My questions are:
1. How do I look for a job? I have sent my CV to couple of places, but haven’t gotten any responses yet.
2. Is having a business with recruiting companies worth it?
3. How do I look for accommodation?
4. How the hell do I socialize with Ukrainians?
5. I was told that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work; would that be an issue for me?
6. I don’t speak Russian; would that be an issue at work?
7. I was recommended to avoid the outsourcing industry, but did not really get any good explanations? Does this recommendation make any sense?
8. What should I do to become Ukrainian (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)? Is speaking the language enough?
If you are an expat living in Kyiv, I would love to buy you a beer and hear more about your experience. I am in Kyiv week #20.
Thank you very much for your time in advance!