Сучасна диджитал-освіта для дітей — безоплатне заняття в GoITeens ×
Mazda CX 5

Wanna move to Ukraine; have got couple of questions

Hello,

Please excuse me for writing in English — my Ukrainian grammar totally sucks. You could for sure write back in Ukrainian.

To cut a long story short. My name is Henrik and I am a software engineer from Sweden. My mother was born in Ukraine and recently I got permanent residence permit in Ukraine, aka “Посвідчення закордонного українця” (Yahooo!). I am planning to live next few years in Ukraine.

I am developer with circa 7 years in telecom industry, MA degree from Chalmers University of Technology and experience living and working abroad (US and Germany). I speak Ukrainian, but apparently need some classes; anyway, I am sure I could work in an Ukrainian-speaking environment. I am also fluent in Swedish and German.

After lots of investigation and couple of visits to Ukraine, I believe I wanna live either in Kyiv, either in Lviv.

My questions are:
1. How do I look for a job? I have sent my CV to couple of places, but haven’t gotten any responses yet.
2. Is having a business with recruiting companies worth it?
3. How do I look for accommodation?
4. How the hell do I socialize with Ukrainians?
5. I was told that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work; would that be an issue for me?
6. I don’t speak Russian; would that be an issue at work?
7. I was recommended to avoid the outsourcing industry, but did not really get any good explanations? Does this recommendation make any sense?
8. What should I do to become Ukrainian (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)? Is speaking the language enough?

If you are an expat living in Kyiv, I would love to buy you a beer and hear more about your experience. I am in Kyiv week #20.

Thank you very much for your time in advance!

👍ПодобаєтьсяСподобалось0
До обраногоВ обраному0
LinkedIn

Найкращі коментарі пропустити

Тепер я справді бачив все

8. What should I do to become Ukrainian?
Simply say “Putin huylo”
Дозволені теги: blockquote, a, pre, code, ul, ol, li, b, i, del.
Ctrl + Enter
Дозволені теги: blockquote, a, pre, code, ul, ol, li, b, i, del.
Ctrl + Enter

Коментар порушує правила спільноти і видалений модераторами.

Hi Henrik,
nice to hear that :) I’m surpised, as anyone..)
1. Probably HRs that have seen your CV are still shocked, that’s why they don’t answer :D
2. On my opinion, it all depends on a company. You may found the responsible and hard-working one, or completely different.
3. You just need to find a native Ukrainian that will help you with it.
4. That’s not a problem :) Especially in a good team :)
5. No, it won’t. For example, western regions companies are really friendly and multinational. Ypu will find your place in such an environment.
6. Definitely. NO
7. No, it doesn’t make sense.
8. You will find it out in the process of “adaptation” :D

Hi Henrik, you must really like new experience as you consider moving to Ukraine now! it’s not that bad actually but I know how it looks from the news.

I think you should use you language skills as a big advantage to find a better job — no developer here speak German or Sweedish but it is needed very much sometimes as some companies here work with companies from Germany and Sweeden.

You can deal with a few recruiters — just be honest and tell them they are the only recruiter helping you find a job (don’t worry about it — they will be happy to help and will be paid good money after you are hired). They will give you many job options so you can choose what you like.

At the same time you can look for a job by yourself, I’m actually very suprised someone didnt reply to you CV, no doubt you will be in great demand.

Just be nice to other people. Ukrainians are not xenophobic at all.
How about Russians ?
How about Russians ?
if they behave like humans, not like ’russians’, wont we be treating them like humans, and not asking any nationality or place of origin questions?
8. What should I do to become Ukrainian?
Simply say “Putin huylo”

дружище, а сбрось-ка свою фотку, может ты на меня похож — так обменяемся паспортами и профит... имя-фамилию за 51 грн поменяешь элементарно

Вже казали, що в нас дівчата найгарніші? А то пиво, пиво...

Таки маю підтвердження тому, що таки ні, у нас багато гарних дівчат ;)

Чівчата в швеції також дуже вродливі! ;)

Henrik,
The answers are:

1. How do I look for a job? I have sent my CV to couple of places, but haven’t gotten any responses yet.
Create a profile at rabota.ua and djinni.co (“rabota” was extremely productive for me a couple years ago, several calls from recruiters a day).
Also ask your Ukrainian friends for recruiter contacts — a dozen of recruiter girls in Skype may give you a job in one day I think. :)
2. Is having a business with recruiting companies worth it?
It worked for me a couple times.
This may be problematic. IMO the best method is to ask your Ukrainian friends for recommendations.
Many people from Ukraine, especially developers, will be glad to spend time with you — to have a chance to speak English and to talk to a guy from Europe. Most young developers love “team building” which is generally a bar night.
5. I was told that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work; would that be an issue for me?
If you have a right to work in Ukraine this should not be a problem. Yes, this is unusual, while many outsourcing companies have permanent foreign employees in their offices.
Many Ukrainians don’t speak Russian as well. Yes, you may find someone who don’t speak or don’t want to speak Ukrainian, but this is rare.
7. I was recommended to avoid the outsourcing industry, but did not really get any good explanations? Does this recommendation make any sense?
This recommendation is definitely counter-productive, at least because outsourcing industry have the salary level several times higher then other developer industries in Ukraine.
However, if you would consider a a position in international sales or logistics — your European languages may be a great bonus.
8. What should I do to become Ukrainian (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)? Is speaking the language enough?
I think you’ll never be considered alien at all, at least in developers circles. But prepare to a chance be a “permanent star”, you may get tired of this.

Henrik, your initial desire to move to Ukraine is quite surprising.

Regarding socializing: your fluency in english will serve you well in communicationg with your associates from IT industry. Don’t worry about others. People of our country will greet you in the following ways — exreme hate, regular hate, extrem admiration/interest in your personality. You should not be bothered by first two, though. If you are an experienced professional, you won’t have problems finding a job here. Once finanical matter is resolved, everything else will look better. But don’t ever expect to stop being an alien to Ukrainians. two groups of society that were mentioned earlier will never let you forget about that =).

Get ready for your adventure. Get ready to be emotinally fucked up, and get ready to be surprised in a good way. It’s cool that you decided to make this kind of shift in your life. Hope you enjoy it.

Henrik,
Don’t even listen to this guy, he is definitely crazy. I think he is a Russian troll who tries to spread the idea of Ukrainian intolerance to anything foreign. In fact, the intolerance is the sole Russian property, Ukrainians are very tolerant. The very simple example is Jewish community: While xenophobia spreads and strengthen in today Russia, the Jews in Ukraine feel at home and even patriotic in Ukraine. I can provide the proof-links if you need it.

Ох уж эта революционная эйфория :D
Держите себя в руках. Везде рашистов-ватников выискивать — уже паранойя, честное слово.

For the sake of henrik having an idea of what is going on here I will reply to this comment in English.
I am not trying to spread the idea of Ukrainian intolerance to anything foreign, I am declaring that this fact takes place. And the fact that I am not bullshitting the guy with illusionary picture of friendly Ukrainians does not make me a Russian troll.
The bottom line of my comment was — even though the majority of our UA mates has a fear of everything foreign, he still will be able to feel comfortable here with the help of people who share an opened mindset.

You look like a Russian troll (only 2 messages on this forum, both in this conversation), and walk like Russian troll (you spread anti-Ukrainian ideas) — so who you are? :)

Раз уж он пишет, что бот, пришлось забанить :)

перед баном он испытал сложные чувства, судя по последнему комменту
:))

О-хре-неть! Похоже на вброс

Быть налоговым резидентом социалистичекой Швеции или Норвегии то еще удовольствие :-)

Что-то не верится, что он именно от налогов бежит

Моим норвежским партнером тяжело понять, что «хорошая ЗП» в $10к с их налогами это меньше чем украинские $6k и для соответствующего уровня жизни в Норвегии надо платить $15-20k.

Шведы в Норвегии, как у нас молдаване (при всем уважении), так что не думаю, что в Швеции с этим все намного лучше. Как рынки — это отличные страны, с богатыми клиентами, но работать там как физ. лицо по найму, то еще удовольствие.

Ну, они платят в Украине $5k ставку плюс $1k овертаймов за месяц по удвоенному тарифу накапливается, итого $6к в Украине выходит. Переезжать в Норвегию на 10к финансово не выгодно, там цены и налоги безумные.

А вы там сотрудников не ищете ? на ставку $5k, то... ?

Осенью будем расширять штат, летом у норвежцев каникулы.

И много там таких счастливых — по 6k за голову?

Не много, комания у нас небольшая и достаточно консервативная, текучка практически отсутствует (только у джунов и стажеров).

В Скандинавии вилка зарплат вообще низкая, в отличие от США и той же Украины. Большинство получает $5-7k, разница от квалификации не очень велика. Новичок может получать $5k, а CTO компании $10k.

Wow. Many “great” discoveries awaiting you.

I suggest you Lviv for working/living. Kiev is a russian speaking city and it could make you a little discomfort.

Yeap. Kyv is better for work, and L’viv — better for living. If we’re talking about any industry. But in case of working in IT industry — L’viv isn’t worse than Kyiv. Just IMHO. You decide Henrik ;)

Thank you for the advice, but I believe it’s gonna as usually depend on a job.

This is generally not true. While Kiev is Russian-speaking, Ukrainian speakers feel just comfortable. The absolute majority of people knows well the both Russian and Ukrainian languages and simply switch the language while talking to native Ukrainian speaker.

Hej Henrik!
Är du VERKLIGEN säker att du vill flytta till Ukraina NU? Säg inte att du ska flytta till västra Ukraina:)

Trevlig Valborg
Denis

Ja, jag förstår att det är jättesvårt situationen i Ukraina just nu. Aggh, vet jag inte :/

Trevlig Valborg!

Säkert inte bra just nu, men ska råda dig en sak i privat meddelande

Ну чтоб не чувствовать себя совсем дураком, наверное, было бы неплохо :)

ну тогда стоит поучить шведский 1,5 года, а потом попрактиковаться еще лет 10:)

тогда можно попробовать послушать курсы шведского от сверигес радио. Они бесплатны и ох.енны. Но нужно быть готовым к тому, что времени на пиво и прочее подобное может совсем не остаться =)

здесь inte после глагола должно быть:):):)

Yeah, now I see the error =) But I’m sure automatic translation can be very handy to understand what is going on, just as a tool for comprehension, as opposed to composing.

«Привет Хенрик!
Вы уверены, что хотите переехать в Украине сейчас? Не говорите, что вы двигаетесь в Западной Украине :)
Хороший Valborg
Денис »
-----
«Да, я понимаю, что это действительно сложная ситуация в Украине сейчас. Aggh, я не знаю, :/
Хороший Первомайская! »
-----
«Конечно, не хорошо прямо сейчас, но должны сообщить вам что-то в частном сообщении»

Гугль трянслятор всё понимать :) Ну, почти всё...

он не все понимать, он помогать человек понимать, он просто молоток, инструмент человека

Henrik, if you want to talk and have some beer when in Kiev feel free to add me on facebook: www.facebook.com/pavel.stelmakh

By the way, why do you want move from Sweden? I have heard that Sweden is a rich and progressive country. What is the average salary for developers in your country?

Experience. I lived abroad before and enjoyed it a lot! I also speak Ukrainian.

Well, I am usually aiming for 35,000 — 40,000 sek in Stockholm area, which is circa 60,000 — 70,000 uah. I know I won’t get this money in Kyiv, but this is not about money and I know I can have a good life with a half of this.

Yeah, it’s great experience. I suggest you for working/living Lviv it has more ’european’ look. For example, on holidays you can visit Kyiv and any city/place you like, mountains for hiking etc. Honestly, with your experience, you can earn even more than 70k uah :)

I know I won’t get this money in Kyiv
That’s not true.
In Stockholm after tax deduction and paying the rent you’ll get ~15000 SEK (39000 — 13000 tax — 11000 rent) which is 26000 UAH.
Assuming that your salary in Kyiv is ~3000 USD, you’ll get the SAME amount of money after paying the rent and tax deduction (or even more, if your salary is higher).
Moreover prices in Kiyv are ~3 times lower than in Stockholm.

8. Once you find out the answer to this question, let me know. I’m a Ukrainian, yet not many people believe me when I say that. Most think that I’m from the US — the fact that I speak Ukrainian / Russian and that I’ve lived my entire life here doesn’t count obviously :)

On a more serious note — for socializing and other stuff, you can go to American Chamber of Commerce in Ukraine (www.chamber.ua) events. They do a lot of networking events and while there are many expats there, there are also numerous Ukrainians who speak Ukrainian / English, so you can get to know people in an informal, yet productive way.

8. What should I do to become Ukrainian
8. Once you find out the answer to this question, let me know. I’m a Ukrainian
using plain boolean logic)), do nothing.
just try to enjoy.
жизнь даётся человеку только раз, и прожить её надо в Украине.

Та я ж не против))) Просто надоело отвечать на удивленный вопрос «Ты, что, украинка???» #facepalm

;) you’re welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!

Take a quick look at http://hh.ua/ may help for getting a job. Also, they have localization RU / EN

1. www.djinni.co, www.work.ua
3. Можна поселитися в хостелі і протягом пари тижнів знайти хороше житло.
4. Просто спілкуйся якомога більше. Наприклад, на ДОУ, тут багато одноумців.
5. Головне — бути спеціалістом, а робота знайдеться.
6. Якщо добре спілкуєшся українською, то російська буде зрозумілою. А пізніше вивчиш, то не є критичним питанням.
7. Немає різниці.
8. Ми не ставимося до іноземців як до дикунів :). Достатньо бути хорошою людиною і ти станеш частиною українського народу.

Хороша ідея, бажаю успіхів!

6. I have heard this a lot of times now. No, nobody, who speaks Ukrainian only understands Russian; I get freaking NOTHING. My sister doesn’t get anything either.

I understand quite a lot of Belorussian, Czech and Slovakian, but Russian sounds like Korean to me :/ I have got no clue where this stereotype came from, but you gotta get rid of it.

Thank you for your reply.

That’s an interesting perspective on the topic, albeit not shared by many here in Ukraine. Gotta bookmark this for my next linguistic discussion with my Russian friends :)

I have got no clue where this stereotype came from
Звичайно, треба врахувати, що той чи інший російськомовний «фон» присутній в Україні майже скрізь, аж до того, що досить широко розповсюджена «мішана» українська мова з великою кількістю запозичених або калькованих з російської слів (так званий «суржик»).
Тим не менше, певне знання української та білоруської має значно спростити оволодіння російською. Принаймні, я добре розумію білоруську, маючи дві рідні мови українську та російську.

it is difficult to judge from a ukrainian’s point of view since most of us (if not all) have heard and read russian since birth, even if you speak only ukrainian you know russian by default — it’s many years of environment

I know several peoples, who speaks Ukrainian and did not understand Russian at all. The are Americans, who lives more then 15 years in Kiev. Sure, after so long period here they learn to understand Russian, but they was quite happy without that knowledge.

Just don’t mind. You don’t need Russian language in Kiev, except for a rare case when you meet a native Russian.

I object. You need at least a little understanding of Russian language in Kyiv. There are too many people out there who pretend they don’t speak Ukrainian and answered to you in russian anyway, so you’ll need at least a passive knowledge of russian.

If topic starter unable to understand russian I’d suggest Lviv as it more friendly to Ukrainian-only speakers I believe.

It should be a common stereotype in Ukraine, coz we hear russian and ukrainian from little up, so it is obvious, that they are easy to understand for us. We have similar grammar, and lots of similar words, but you’ll see it, only when you are experienced in both languages, not one.

5. It means that people are using english only for external communications and for documentation/jira.
One expat in collective — and they all have to use english in their everyday internal communications.
Even in IT people are not very good in english. So this will reduce the quality of communications for the whole team.
You know ukranian? Good. Now see 6.
6. This will be a big issue for you if we are talking about kiev.
Almost all IT companies are using russian as main language on standups and meetings and other internal communications.
It is very difficult to hear pure ukranian language — people are using a lot of russian words in their ’ukranian’ speech.
Also please note that many people speak ukranian at home, but are using russian for ’outside’ world.
7. Usualy outsourcing is all about endless support with boring tasks.

And overall — man you are just crazy. Have you heard about Chernobyl? Radikal? Ukraine is very polluted place. High crime and corruption. Almost no medical support. This is not safe place to live.
Also note high bribery/bureaucracy level. Are you ready to spend half a day in a queue to solve some very simple question?

5 & 6: This is what I was worrying about. My Ukrainian is good enough to get along at any social situation outside of work, but I am afraid there may be a language barrier at work.

Thank you for your answer!

Sadly, from practice point of view — Russian is better in everyday life. (Kyiv)

Nope, in IT this is not a problem al all — nothing to worry about, not in IT.
In my company works a guy from Poland, who does not understand Ukrainian or Russian. English is absolutely enough.

Tjena!

What’s your professional background in terms of programming languages and application domains? What would you like to work on?

As for the accommodation I would rent something on airbnb first and look for a better price on the spot. You might need some help from locals finding good apartment on the place, though. The level of english of the majority of population is close to 0, but that wouldn’t spoil your life here.

Have fun and enjoy Ukraine!

Henrik, once you’re in Kyiv and you know your way around the scene you’ll be hot stuff chased by all the recruiters. For offline socializing, check out www.chasopys.ua and join www.facebook.com/fryday.kyiv. Online, on LinkedIn set your current location to Kyiv and make your intentions known.
1. Looking for jobs is easy so long as market-level salary for a software engineer of your level is good enough. Place your resume on hh.ua and rabota.ua as well, and accept recruiters’ invitations on LinkedIn.
2. Recruiting companies may work, but mostly they represent the hiring side and only look to fill open positions — they are not so used to placements. But try them, so long as it costs nothing or next to nothing.
3. Depends on your tastes and budget. Rent in Kyiv is expensive and accommodation is low quality, be prepared. Short term you can stop at a hostel (reserve in advance of arrival) and then you can try either a real estate agency blagovist.ua/...​ealtysearch/rentflat.lisp or on an aggregator www.lun.ua for long-term (several months) rent arrangement.
4. You’ll be fine, once you’re here just walk around and be yourself, Ukrainians tend to be talkative.
5. Bullshit. Unless you start looking for work in some Soviet-era enterprise, which I don’t know if there are any left.
6. Yes and no — many employes are bilingual Russian/Ukrainian and many in IT industry speak English.
7. Outsourcing industry is 80-90% of IT industry in Ukraine, and it is very varied — some companies are out just to make a few bucks, others have something resembling a mission — once you start talking to the people working there you will get the idea. Keep your options open, you can see company ratings and avoid the obvious traps jobs.dou.ua/ratings
8. You are who you are, and to some people you will always be a foreigner, so embrace your identity. European and American foreigners are sometimes still treated as demi-gods in Ukraine, you will learn to enjoy that status :)

I am not an expat, but if you ever need advice feel free to reach out, [email protected]

Trust me, you are in for an adventure of a lifetime!

P.S.: when is week 20? Just say May 16th or whatever — we don’t normally number weeks around here :)

Don’t give up fellow, you’re on your way and doing well. Keep pushing hard and keep up with the good work. That’s the way of building new environments, communities, finally — countries, by comming somewhere, get/set and share new experience and bring it back to homeland. Wish you all the success on your way and see you some day in L’viv Henrik :)

Hej på dig Henrik!

Glad to hear that you are interested in Ukraine these days!
We are two former Chalmers students running the Swedish IT-resource company www.beetroot.se with development office in Odessa. Feel free to connect with us and we will be happy if we can be to any help for you!

Vi hörs!

Hallå Andreas!

Jättebra! Tack för ditt svar.

I will for sure have a loot at your web-site. If I will end up in Odessa, you are the first one, whom I contact.

Glad valborg! ;)

Networking rule the world :) Glad you’ve found each other. You’ll make it!

Common! Just drink beer and vodka with Ukrainians and everything will be ok! )))

maaan, he’s ok, he’s from Sweden

Just drink beer and vodka with Ukrainians

Maybe, you mean Russians?

Anyway, alkohol is for slaves, not for conscious Slavic people.

You like it or not, but still 95% of people do drink alcohol. And alcohol is main socialiser here.

Nice. Happy socialising! But please, try to socialise silently and somewhere in another place

20g of pure socializing per day is good and even recommended for a person after ~30 to slow down degrading. But, of course, please don’t mix 20 with 200, they are different more than in one digit.

Припиніть вже цю пропаганду алкоголізму. Іноді це банально не личить

В Швеции алкоголиум продается в специальных таких государственных магазинах, исключительно в дневное время и по будням. Т.е. если хочешь нажраться дома на выходных, нужно подойти к вопросу сознательно и затариться предварительно. Это с одной стороны дисциплинирует, с другой же ограничивает свободу. И бедным свенскар рвёт крышу когда они понимают, что в Украине можно зайти в любой сираный паб посреди ночи и вкусить алкоголия за смешные деньги под названием «гривны».

це у москалей рюмочные.
а тут — ґэндэлыкы))

На днях видел замечательное — «чарочная». Днепропетровщина, есличе.

You may raise interest from Scandinavian companies in Kiev. One of them is Cikulm (ciklum.com), they’re owner is from Denmark. Send me your CV and I can send it directly to that company recruiters.

In general case, you look for job on LinkedIn, work.ua and similar places. Recruiting companies are useless from my experience.

For accommodation, I’d propose to rent short term through Airbnb and once you’re here, ask HR or colleagues of your company to help you.

Otherwise don’t worry, Ukraine is mostly friendly place and you’re going to have great time there.

Btw, I do know a bunch of Norwegian guys who are currently in Kiev and who would be glad to help you to get started in Ukraine. Send me a message if you’re interested.

I don’t speak Russian; would that be an issue at work?

In the south or the east only. :-)
IMHO.

You’re wrong! It’s not a truth!

We had a lady who spoke only Ukrainian here in our office in Odessa. No communication problems whatsoever. Sounds unusual, but why would people care?

She did understand Russian though.

recently I got permanent residence permit in Ukraine, aka “Посвідчення закордонного українця”

These are 2 different things.
The document that confirms your right of permanent residence in Ukraine is called “посвiдка на постійне проживання”.
“Посвідчення закордонного українця” is a “Certificate of a foreign Ukrainian”. It’s a document that conforms your “status of a foreign Ukrainian”, which gives you the right to immigrate to Ukraine.

By the way, when did you get this document (“посвідчення”)?
As far as I know, the national commission doesn’t issue these certificates at the moment, because of some internal problems.

I’m not a lawyer, sorry. Saying recently, I mean first part of 2013 :/

I’m not a lawyer,

Me neither.

Saying recently, I mean first part of 2013

OK. Those problems emerged later than that.

Henrik, if you want to improve your Ukrainian language skills — Lviv is a better choice than capital . I may be biased , but I also think it’s also more cozy :)

Hint regarding recruitment — try Clarus- it’s recruitment agency founded by Swedish, operating quite long on the market

5) and 4) — really depend on company culture.

Godspeed, man!

Oh, come on! I am not going to settle down in Ukraine. I would just like to get some experience and improve my Ukrainian. I have lived abroad many times now and what it is like.

I can always pack my stuff and move back to Sweden or find a job elsewhere.

Why? It’s a rare language. We have very unstable situation here. Maybe in future — living some times in Ukraine will be not such a bad idea, but not now.

Also, you need to know that situation with english is catastrophic. 95% of population don’t know it even on elementary level. So, you will have a lot of trouble, if your ukranian dictionary proves insufficient.

Я розмовляю українською. Дякую.

Куча экспатов совершенно отлично себя чувствуют в Киеве, отсутствие инглиша у населения не помеха.

Чуваки, вы меня разочаровываете. Ладно, между собой тереть о том, какое говно творится в стране, но отговаривать экспата это какой-то долбоебизм, простите

Чуваки, вы меня разочаровываете. Ладно, между собой тереть о том, какое говно творится в стране, но отговаривать экспата это какой-то долбоебизм, простите
Обычная порядочность.

В мире все и так в курсе, что тут происходит.

Я должен сказать, что на очень многие вещи иностранцы смотрят по-другому. Например, не знаю точно какова ситуация в Швеции с этим, но возможно, что очень многим вещам он удивится. Например то, что мобильный не надо привязывать к паспорту, то что в кафе есть нормальный бесплатный вай-фай, то что пиво стоит 50 центов, а пообедать можно за 3 евро. Те вещи, которые нас беспокоят — скорей всего большую часть он не будет замечать. Тем более, если не понравится — соберет чемодан, и куда угодно, границы для него открыты. Так что причин не приезжать для него нет.

Звичайний батхерт і нелюбов до України.

Понимайте как хотите, я не считаю правильным подставлять человека (пусть и незнакомого) ради каких то иллюзорных маразматичных ценностей, вроде патриотизма.

А чем и кто его подставляет?
Есть такие вещи, которые в поведении приезжих из нормальных стран всегда одинаковы. Исключения в расчет не берем. Независимо от достатка, независимо от зарплаты, квартиру они снимают на Печерске, как минимум. Передвигаются только на такси (даже если денег йок и они это в долг делают, много раз встречал). На Борщаге и ДВРЗ они никогда не бывают. Для него Украина будет видеться только в положительном свете.
Ну, еще есть много факторов, таких как иностранный паспорт, с которым можно не сворачивать с улицы, если видишь в далеке ментов, потому что вряд ли кто будет тебе вешать чужое преступление, если ты иностранный гражданин. И, в конце концов — ну не будет он ходить в пенсионный фонд за справкой и районную поликлинику, так ему это вообще не нужно, об чем вы, ну...

Вы можете гарантировать, что завтра здесь не будет войны, или фин.кризиса из-за которого компании начнут скоращать штат или ещё какой то пакости?

Повторюсь:

Maybe in future — living some times in Ukraine will be not such a bad idea, but not now.

Зможе розказувати знайомим і родичам, що був практично у зоні «бойових» дій ))).Та й хороший пункт для резюме («чіплятиме» HR) )) . У випадку мінімальних проблем

. У випадку мінімальних проблем

Хороший план, особливо якщо почати його реалiзацiю ще до того як у мiсто увiдуть зеленi чоловiчки, зв’яжуть, виколють очi i викинуть у рiчку з розпоротим животом.

Мова йшла про роботу в якійсь київській (львівській) ІТ-компанії, а не про діяльність (активіст) у Донецьку-Луганську-Харкові.

I що зеленi чоловiчки будуть питати про посвiдчення сепаратиста/активiста?
Живеш у Львовi, розмовляеш на незрозумiло якiй мовi — американський шпiон, пiшли поговоримо.

зеленi чоловiчки
Вони уже у Львові?
А «гопоти», звісно, у кожному українському місті достатньо...

Борис, вы удивитесь, но есть путешественники из вполне развитых стран, которые ездят по гораздо более отсталым регионам, чем Украина. У человека корни, он все осознает, не решайте за него.

I personally knew some expats from Great Britain and Nederlands who have no at all or a little knowledge of local language and habits.

Тепер я справді бачив все

Думаю тому, що тут (на ДОУ) в основному популярна протилежна ідея — виїхати з України. Глянь скільки на форумі є тем про релокейшн в <Штати, Азію, Європу>, а от про переїзд з абстрактної цивілізованої Європи В Україну — це, здається, перша :)

те, що ти не збираєшся переїжджати на завжди, звичайно трохи зменшує шок і здивування, але повністю не знімає, тим більше враховуючи ситуацію тут, в Україні :)

про переїзд з абстрактної цивілізованої Європи В Україну — це, здається, перша :)
как минимум третья. Тут уже голландец какой-то пробегал и еще кто-то. Пора ужесточать визовые требования...

it’s kinda tradition on DOU for topics which surprise people :)
See there: dou.ua/...ums/topic/9178

Почекайте ще пів року, ось тоді знову буде все)

What should I do to become Ukraine (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)?
Ahaha :D
You should have this problem if you are planning to move from Pakistan or Somalia, but not from Sweden.
Почитай відповіді інших, там вказали кілька корисних посилань.
Взагалі-то, ні. Рекрутингові агентства в Україні не дуже популярні, до того ж, майже всі сильні компанії мають власний департамент з набору кадрів. Приватні рекрутери існують, але їх мало.
Деякі великі компанії після заключення договору зможуть допомогти знайти житло таким чином, щоб воно було у досить приємному та транспортно зручному місці.
Якщо хочеш знайти житло сам, є немало сайтів, де розміщено масу оголошень. Щоправда, найчастіше вони російською мовою, і оголошення (для Києва) теж.
Українці зазвичай дуже добре ставляться до іноземців.
Але не слід вважати, що ти швидко станеш для них «українцем». Уяви, з якою швидкістю експати у Швеції стають «шведами», «своїми» людьми. Цей період може роками, якщо не десятиліттями продовжуватися. У нас це значно швидше, але абсолютно не миттєво.
Я знаю кількох французів, які прекрасно тут живуть. Один з них навіть не у місті, а в одному з сіл Кіровоградської області. Але вони досі не змогли асимілюватися, хоча проблем з оточенням в них майже нема.
5. I was told that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work
 Це правда. Але IT-галузь значно більш космополітична, ніж інші, і, думаю, значних проблем в тебе не буде. Навпаки, іноземний (крім окремих країн) досвід цінується.
Ніякої проблеми в цьому не буде.
Ні. В аутсорсингу є дуже добрі проекти, а є повне лайно. Якщо поталанить, в лайно ніколи не попадеш :)
8. What should I do to become Ukraine (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)? Is speaking the language enough?
Дивись відповідь на четверте питання.
I am in Kyiv week #20.
в Україні майже ніхто так тижні не рахує :) Тут або вказують дати, або «перший-другий-третій-останній тиждень місяця».
MA degree from Chalmers University of Technology
На щастя, ніхто в адекватних компаніях прискіпливо не дивиться на освіту.
До державної компанії тебе б просто так з іноземним дипломом не взяли (це теж на щастя, повір).

Btw, check out kyivpost.com — created by expat, still has a large expat community.

Hi Henrik,

I suggest focusing on your strengths rather than trying to compensate those areas you’re not so comfortable. You are definitely a polyglot person: German, Swedish, English and Ukrainian (basic) — I suggest start looking for a job in a Swedish or German company that has an outlet here in Ukraine. Russian is not an issue, everyone at the IT office speaks English, otherwise they would have been fired already, so no obstucles communicating.

As this is so-called IT-portal I’ll provide answers based on it-specifics.

There are several large IT-companies which recruit people intensively: Epam, Luxoft, Global Logic, Soft Serve and Ciklum, it would be more profitable to contact them directly by sending your CV. You could also post your CV at work.ua, hh.ua and some others web-sites.

Recruter is a two-edge blade, those guys (ladies mostly) eager to get their paycheck at all costs, so if they feel they could “resell” you at high price to you potential employer, they could be helpful. But they don’t care about your future life and/or growth since employement, so stay sharp!.

Large and profitable IT-companies such as Luxoft or SoftServe cover transporation costs of their future employees, I cannot guarantee they would cover everything, but that’s at least something. Otherwise you should search for renting an appartment on monthly (not hourly) basis, that would cost you 400-800$ a month depends on city and the appartment of course. You could start searching by reading ukrainian papers and forums.

That’s probably the trickiest part of living here. First of all not everyone is helpful and can be considered as an adequate person. They use strong words and are trolling people instead of helping. If you can deal with it, you’ll be fine. Kyiv is a great city to socialize, and Lviv is even better — just do what you’re interested in and you’ll always find some people to chat with.

5. I was told that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work; would that be an issue for me?

Well people in Ukraine respect those people who aren’t trying to fraud or kill them. And Sweden is absolutely not an issue here. Most part of Ukrainians don’t like Russians and vice versa, I think the reasons are quite clear to you. We are not terrorists or haters, we just want to live and work without fear. There are some crazy people in the Eastern Ukraine, so I suggest avoid visiting it for now.

In Lviv it would be a bonus, not an obstucle. :-)
Hovewer, in the Eastern part of Ukraine it would be an issue as almost nobody speaks English and the number of Ukrainian speakers is not so high.
The language itself belongs to a speaker regardless of its nationality, so no worries here.

If you’re speaking about IT outsorce there are some:
— they employ people at low rates and fire even faster in comparison with product companies.
— many projects are legacy systems after indians almost broke it.....that’s just terrible.
But on the other hand product companies aint as large as outsorcers. Outsorces dominate in our software market occupying about 80% of market share.

8. What should I do to become Ukraine (I mean when people will stop considering me an alien)? Is speaking the language enough?

Language is not an issue. You should share nationality burden and heritage to become a truly ukrainian.
That’s hard to explain, but truly ukrainians know and respect their history, traditions and their land, despite that bunch of traitors who eager to separate our land.

P.S.
Personal advice: If I were you I would rather move to a product company in Western Europe rather than suffer for heritage in Ukraine.

Sorry for being so wordy, hope my response was helpful for you.
Yours sincerely and willing all the best
Gabriel Angelos,
Captain of the Blood Ravens.

A lot of thanks for your time!

P.S. I clearly understand you may not find Ukraine the best place in the World, but I love to live abroad, and would like to improve my Ukrainian. I’m quite sure I will be find living there for a year or two. Cheers!

you may not find Ukraine the best place in the World
Especial after Russian invasion...

Чи хочу я надерти дупу Путіну ? — Так, тут майже всі цього хочуть :)
Чи ми надеремо дупу Путіну ? — Ну не знаю. Ось с Кримом щось не вишло.

We can do nothing.
Perhaps USA will do it.

No, we expect you to do it. Please arrive ASAP.

Russian is not an issue, everyone at the IT office speaks English, otherwise they would have been fired already, so no obstucles communicating.
брехня =)

Hi Henrik,

I believe I wanna live either in Kyiv, either in Lviv.

Kyiv is cosmpolitan and is highly recommended.

mention your visa status in your resume, write clearly (say, in bold) that you are leagaly authorized to work in Ukraine, use linkedin, work.ua, rabota.ua, epam.com, luxosft.com, etc.
we have swedish companies in Ukraine too! or at least scandinavian: www.ciklum.com, etc.

Not so many global recruitment agenices, like Hays. The best is to contact companies directly (you may get a list form this website jobs.dou.ua/companies ), in Ukraine companies usually may afford to hire many recruiters and don’t outsource this job to external agencies.

This may be tricky. Try to find some friends in Ukraine who will help you.

Easily! They like foreigners, just talk about everything on earth: Europe, Sweden, music, programming, etc.

5. I was that Ukrainians are not used to internationals at work; would that be an issue for me?

nope. if you have PR companies may easily hire you (I guess). I may recommend you to get into skascandinavian company: they have some of them with huge headcount. Office facilities, working culture in every detail, etc. will be the same like in skascandinavia. In some small local companies, working culture may still be like it was during USSR.

Get into the right place, and nope. Also your swedish may be an advantage to you: companies like ciklum have many swedish customers.

This is a local cultural bug. Just ignore it. People belive that they are slaves working in IT outsourcing and not taking ownership for the virtual physical product, they don’t understand that service industry (like banking) is also a product.

8. What should I do to become Ukraine? Is speaking the language enough?

Find the right friends who will help you. We have expatriate forums and also you may find expats in linkedin (search for Fryday Kyiv group, they socialize two times a month).

1. There are lots of open SE positions in UA, so you shouldn’t worry. Take a look at companies list on this site and other information — there are sections about salary, vacancies, companies etc. Use work.ua, it.rabota.ua. But LinkedIn — is the best solution.
2. I can’t be objective.
3. You should rent an apartment. Better to find it via your friends in UA. Either — you may even create a topic here, perhaps smb have an apt for rent.
4. What the problems do you have with Ukrainians :)? In IT — majority of employees have some level of English language. Like me, for example. Hindus speak better :)
5. For IT-industry — it’s a normal situation to work with foreigners.
6. Russian and Ukrainian are in the same language family — even if you don’t speak Russian, in some time you’ll understand the speech.
7. It’s a holy-war question.
8. If your permanent resident card doesn’t limit you in such things as job — never mind.

6. Not exactly. I know a guy who perfectly speaks Ukrainian but can’t understand Russian.

А мені знайомий розповідав про дівчину, яка володіє українською, але відвідує курси російської. Це в Польщі.

If you’re a competent engineer with reasonable salary expectations (e.g. less than $10k/mo) it should be easy. LinkedIn. Djinni.co. Jobs.dou.ua.

Re: socializing. Check out our Events page, dou.ua/calendar/ There are dozens of events almost every week.

Re: accomodation. I’d start with temp apartment and look for a job instead. Once you’ve got a job offer their hr service can probably help you out with apartment search as well.

Hi Henrik! You didn’t mention here your skills and programming languages you use for work. Maybe it could help you as there are a lot of HRs on this site and maybe someone is searching for a person similar to you :)

Oh, I firstly wanted to ask if it’s a good idea to work with independent head hunters. At some places, like the UK they only fuck everything up for you. Thank you for your comment.

Contact me at linkedin if you want some advices about Lviv :)

Oh, thank you so much! Maybe I should finally get linkedin account...

That’s a good idea if you’re planning to look for a job. You can always delete it later. ;-) I’d also offer trying out djinni.co for job search but the interface is in Russian. So beware.

До речі, Макс, ви взагалі плануєте українську локалізацію? Чого Джин український, але російськомовний? Джине, слухай моє перше бажання: говори українською!

Підтримую на всі 100 щодо української локалізації. Дивно що досі немає.

My mother was born in Ukraine
Welcome home :)

1. Same as everywhere
2. It would be easier for you on the start
3. google for “аренда жилья киев”
4. don’t bother, you will in a while
5. bullshit, not in IT
6. should not
7. no, doesn’t really matter
8. even speaking language is not mandatory (if you don’t need citizenship)

Підписатись на коментарі